Oct 8, 2007

Obama the postmillennialist

"I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on earth."

4 comments:

  1. It's more theologically correct to say, "I think we can participate in the work of God right here on Earth."

    Faulty theology: Reason number 32423 that I'm not an Obama fan.

    (Please don't ask what the other 32422 reasons are, K?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your version better, but I wouldn't use words as firm as "correct" or "faulty." I posted this because his quote exactly reflects the dominant liberal Protestant thought of the late-19th-century U.S.--the social gospel postmillennialists, who talked extensively about ushering in the kingdom via their good works. (The excesses of this movement are often blamed for the [reactionary] rise of American fundamentalism.)

    I AM a big Obama fan, and while theology is not really a reason for this, he does seem to have a deeper theological understanding than any of the other candidates (except Huckabee)--a separate observation from whether you or I agree w/ his theological views. One thing that IS a reason is the fact that he also has a much more nuanced and thoughtful view of the role of faith in public life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think he pretty much meant, "they kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as in heaven." you know - it's our job to make this world more like the kingdom of god? i doubt he intends to take any pre/post/amillenial stance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fair enough. But the interpretation of this line of the Our Father is itself the subject of disputes over millennial doctrine...does "on earth as it is in heaven" refer to "thy kingdom come" or only to "thy will be done"? And, especially, who is responsible for getting this will done and/or this kingdom established, and how?

    I don't think Obama is carefully trying to align himself w/ a particular historical theological movement. But I do think the quote reflects a particular view--that the here and now is the realm of the kingdom, and that we are responsible for effecting God's will. I agree w/ him. I also think Meghan's "theologically correct" version says essentially the same thing, despite her contrary pose.

    ReplyDelete